Quarrel

It was the first thing they noticed when they dragged the cobbled together ship from the beach. They can't blame it, they wouldn't exactly want to watch either.

It took them longer than they expected to get the ship set. The feline reminds themself repeatedly that it only needs to float long enough to get to a stash where there should still be a good enough ship to get them the rest of the way... and even if there isn't, they will find another way. They always find another way.

Luckily, they muse, the wind is blowing in the proper direction. Due to how little they actually know about sailing, they hope it stays that way. 

Deciding that they can get down quickly enough when they inevitably crash into something, the cat climbs up the mast. Unlike most critters, they use their strength to sink in their claws and haul themself up the length. When they get to the top, they make the mistake of looking back. Fog is already rolling in, dropping the tempature of the air enough that their breath merges with it.

A memory manifests to them, just on the edge of their comprehension. They sink their claws further into the wood while they grapple with it...

"Who can sail without the wind,

Who can row without oars?

Who can ever leave a friend,

Without shedding tears?

I can sail without the wind, 

I can row without oars.

But I will never leave a friend,

Without shedding tears." 

(Will be back, just a character excuse for being gone a while!)