New to the forums?Log in with your Farwoods account.
Iron Tooth

Whether by native speakers or aspiring linguists, hand scribed attempts at translations crop up in the Anthropology Aisle. While pages may vanish from the shelves their source books sit upon, it seemed a dedicated set of hands always tried to keep fresh copies for library readers.

((This is an effort to translate and preserve the various Folk works that pop up in the library, for the enjoyment of the playerbase who have not spent into other languages in-game. Players are welcome to post translations here in this Journal thread, under the assumption they've been discretely added to the shelves and picked up into the copying cycles by Iron Tooth or other volunteer librarians and scribes. - Songs and stories may have real-life counterparts, and I'll try to include links. Though many writings have had their text changed in-game to fit the setting more.))

Iron Tooth

Lutrini Folk Song [ Rambling Sailor ]

Oh, I am a sailor brisk and bold, long time I've sailed the ocean. Oh, I've fought for king and country too, for honor and promotion.

So now my brother shipmates, I bid you all adieu, no more will I go to sea with you; but I'll ramble the country through and through, and I'll be a rambling sailor.

Oh, it's off to a village then I went, where I saw lassies plenty. Oh, I boldly stepped up to one of them, to court her for her beauty.

Oh, her fur, it was like the rubies red, she'd a feathered bonnet a-covering her head. Oh, I put the hard word on her but she said she was a maid, the saucy little trim-rigged foxy.

"Oh, I can't and I won't go along with you, you saucy rambling sailor. Oh, my parents, they would never agree, for I'm promised to a tailor."

But I was hot shot eager to rifle her charms. "A gold coin," says I, "for a roll in your arms." The deal was done, and upstairs we went, myself and the trim-rigged foxy.

Oh, it was haul on the bowline, let your stays'll fall, we was yardarm to yardarm bumpin'. My sails running slack, asleep I fell, and then she fell into robbin'.

Oh, she robbed all my pockets of everything I had, she even stole my new boots from underneath the bed. And she even stole my gold ring from underneath my head, the saucy little trim-rigged foxy.

And it's when I awoke in the morning bright, oh, I started to roar like thunder. My gold ring and my money too, she bore away for plunder.

But it wasn't for my gold ring nor my money too, for them I don't value, but I'll tell you true. That brazen little firecracker cut my heart in two, the saucy little trim-rigged foxy.

"Rambling Sailor", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Iron Tooth

Nivalis Folk Song [Welcome Home Again] (( The Lover's Ghost ))

"You're welcome home again," said the young man to his love, "I've been waiting for you many a night and day. You're tired and you're pale," said the young man to his dear, "You shall never again go away." "I must go away," she said, "when the little birds sing, for here they will not let me stay. Oh, but if I had my wish, oh my dearest dear," she said, "This night should be never, never day."

"Oh, pretty little birds, oh handsome little birds, I pray you do not sing before day. And your wings shall be made of the very beaten gold, and your beak of the silver so gray." But oh these little birds, these handsome little birds, they sang out a full hour too soon. "It's time I should depart, oh my dearest dear," she said, "for now it's the going down of the moon."

"And where is your bed, my dearest love," he said, "and where are your white woven sheets? And where are the maids, oh my darling dear," he said, "that wait upon you while you are asleep?" "The clay it is my bed, my dearest dear," she said, "The shroud is my white woven sheet. And the worms and creeping things are my servants, dear," she said, "that wait upon me while I am asleep."

"Welcome Home Again", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth