New to the forums?Log in with your Farwoods account.
Iron Tooth

Whether by native speakers or aspiring linguists, hand scribed attempts at translations crop up in the Anthropology Aisle. While pages may vanish from the shelves their source books sit upon, it seemed a dedicated set of hands always tried to keep fresh copies for library readers.

((This is an effort to translate and preserve the various Folk works that pop up in the library, for the enjoyment of the playerbase who have not spent into other languages in-game. Players are welcome to post translations here in this Journal thread, under the assumption they've been discretely added to the shelves and picked up into the copying cycles by Iron Tooth or other volunteer librarians and scribes. - Songs and stories may have real-life counterparts, and I'll try to include links. Though many writings have had their text changed in-game to fit the setting more.))

Iron Tooth

Lutrini Folk Song [ Rambling Sailor ]

Oh, I am a sailor brisk and bold, long time I've sailed the ocean. Oh, I've fought for king and country too, for honor and promotion.

So now my brother shipmates, I bid you all adieu, no more will I go to sea with you; but I'll ramble the country through and through, and I'll be a rambling sailor.

Oh, it's off to a village then I went, where I saw lassies plenty. Oh, I boldly stepped up to one of them, to court her for her beauty.

Oh, her fur, it was like the rubies red, she'd a feathered bonnet a-covering her head. Oh, I put the hard word on her but she said she was a maid, the saucy little trim-rigged foxy.

"Oh, I can't and I won't go along with you, you saucy rambling sailor. Oh, my parents, they would never agree, for I'm promised to a tailor."

But I was hot shot eager to rifle her charms. "A gold coin," says I, "for a roll in your arms." The deal was done, and upstairs we went, myself and the trim-rigged foxy.

Oh, it was haul on the bowline, let your stays'll fall, we was yardarm to yardarm bumpin'. My sails running slack, asleep I fell, and then she fell into robbin'.

Oh, she robbed all my pockets of everything I had, she even stole my new boots from underneath the bed. And she even stole my gold ring from underneath my head, the saucy little trim-rigged foxy.

And it's when I awoke in the morning bright, oh, I started to roar like thunder. My gold ring and my money too, she bore away for plunder.

But it wasn't for my gold ring nor my money too, for them I don't value, but I'll tell you true. That brazen little firecracker cut my heart in two, the saucy little trim-rigged foxy.

"Rambling Sailor", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Iron Tooth

Nivalis Folk Song [Welcome Home Again] (( The Lover's Ghost ))

"You're welcome home again," said the young man to his love, "I've been waiting for you many a night and day. You're tired and you're pale," said the young man to his dear, "You shall never again go away." "I must go away," she said, "when the little birds sing, for here they will not let me stay. Oh, but if I had my wish, oh my dearest dear," she said, "This night should be never, never day."

"Oh, pretty little birds, oh handsome little birds, I pray you do not sing before day. And your wings shall be made of the very beaten gold, and your beak of the silver so gray." But oh these little birds, these handsome little birds, they sang out a full hour too soon. "It's time I should depart, oh my dearest dear," she said, "for now it's the going down of the moon."

"And where is your bed, my dearest love," he said, "and where are your white woven sheets? And where are the maids, oh my darling dear," he said, "that wait upon you while you are asleep?" "The clay it is my bed, my dearest dear," she said, "The shroud is my white woven sheet. And the worms and creeping things are my servants, dear," she said, "that wait upon me while I am asleep."

"Welcome Home Again", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Iron Tooth

Lutrini Folk Song [ Drunken Sailor ]

What shall we do with a drunken sailor? What shall we do with a drunken sailor? What shall we do with a drunken sailor, early in the morning?

Weigh-heigh and up she rises, weigh-heigh and up she rises, weigh-heigh and up she rises, early in the morning!

Shave his belly with a rusty razor, shave his belly with a rusty razor, shave his belly with a rusty razor, early in the morning!

Weigh-heigh and up she rises, weigh-heigh and up she rises, weigh-heigh and up she rises, early in the morning!

Tie him to the taffrail when she's yardarm under, Tie him to the taffrail when she's yardarm under, Tie him to the taffrail when she's yardarm under, early in the morning!

Stick him in the scuppers with a hosepipe on him, Stick him in the scuppers with a hosepipe on him, Stick him in the scuppers with a hosepipe on him, early in the morning!

Throw him in the hole with the captain's daughter, Throw him in the hole with the captain's daughter, Throw him in the hole with the captain's daughter, early in the morning!

That's what we do with a drunken sailor, That's what we do with a drunken sailor, That's what we do with a drunken sailor, early in the morning!

"Drunken Sailor", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Iron Tooth

Nivalis Folk Song [ The Bramble Briar ]

Across the mountains there lived a noble, who had two sons and a daughter dear. By night and day they were contriving, to fill their sister's heart with fear. One night, one night of restless slumber, one brother rose up from his bed. He heard the servant court their sister, he heard they had a mind to wed.

He early rose the very next morning, a-hunting through the woods to go. And there he did this young critter slay, and in the bramble briar his body threw.

"Oh brothers, brothers, why do you whisper, and what's become of the servant lad?" "We lost him where we been a-hunting, we lost him where he'll ne'er be found." Oh, she went to bed crying and lamenting, and weeping for her own true love. And as she slept she dreamt she saw him, all covered all over with gore and blood.

She early rose the very next morning, she searched the woods and the forest round, and there she found her own dear jewel, in the bramble briar where his body they'd thrown. Three days and night she did stay by him, she kissed his eyes that could not see. And to keep him from the heat of the sun, she covered him with green leaves off the tree.

Three days and nights she did stay by him, she thought her heart would break with woe, 'til a cruel hunger came upon her, and in despair to her home she did go. "Oh sister, sister, why do you whisper, and won't you tell us where you've been?" "Stand off, stand off, you bloody butchers, my love and I you both have slain."

"The Bramble Briar", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Iron Tooth

Vulpic Folk Song [ Dominion of the Sword ]

Lay by your Pleading, law lies a-bleeding, burn all your studies down and throw away your reading. Small power the word has, and can afford us, not half so much privilege as the sword does. It'll foster the master, plaster disaster, this'll make a servant quickly greater than the master. Ventures, enters, seeks and it centres, makes apprentice free in spite of his indentures.

Talks of small things, it sets up all things, this'll master money, though money masters all things. It is not season to talk of reason, never call it loyal when the sword says treason! Subtle deceiver turns calm to fever, down goes the believer and up comes a weaver. It'll make a lay man preach and to pray man, it'll make a Lord of him that was but a drayman.

Conquers the crown too, grave and the gown too, set you up a province, but it'll pull it down too. No gospel can guide it, no law decide it, in church and state, 'til the sword sanctified it. Take books, rent 'em, who can invent 'em? When that the sword says there'll be no argumentum. Blood that is spilt, sir, has gained all the guilt, sir. Thus have you seen me run my sword up to the hilt, sir.

"Dominion of the Sword", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Iron Tooth

Vulpic Folk Song [ Sovay ]

Sovay, Sovay, all on a day, she dressed herself in man's array, with a sword by her side, blood in her eye, to meet her true love, to meet her true love, under the sky.

As she was strolling over the plain, she met her true love, and bid him stand. "Your gold and silver, kind sir," she said, "Or else this moment, or else this moment, your life I'll have."

He delivered up his golden store, and still she craved for one thing more. "That golden ring that I see you wear, oh hand it over, hand it over, and your life I'll spare."

"Oh, that golden ring a token is, my life I'll lose, the ring I'll save." Being tender-hearted just like a dove, she ran away, she ran away, from her true love.

Now the next morning, in the forest green, just like true lovers they were seen. He spied his goods along with her clothes, it made him blush, it made him blush, like any rose.

"Oh, what makes you blush at so silly a thing? I thought to have had your golden ring. 'Twas I that robbed you, all on the plain, so here's your goods, here's your goods, and your gold again."

"Oh I did intend and it was to know, if that you were me true love or no, but if you had give me that ring," she said, "I'd have lashed out, I'd have lashed out, and cut you dead."

"Sovay", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Iron Tooth

Erinaic Folk Song [ Rackabello ]

Young Rackabello to the woods he has gone, Rackabello, Rackabello, striding all along,

to me rye raddium rudy ida daddium di dye daddium rudy ida dandy.

Rackabello down to the wood late yestere'en, woman in the tall tree Rackabello seen,

to me dye raddium rudy ida daddium di dye daddium rudy ida dandy.

"Woman oh why do you sit up so high? Nobody living can come you a-night,

to me rye raddium rudy ida daddium di dye daddium rudy ida dandy."

"There's a wild tiger living down the wood, cut your throat and he drink your blood,

to me rye raddium rudy ida daddium di dye daddium rudy ida dandy."

Rackabello come to the wild tiger's den, there he saw the bones of a thousand men,

Wild tiger struck, he began to run, thrashing down the tall trees as he come along,

Fought four hours on a long summer day, wild tiger struck and he would have run away,

Young Rackabello drew his little knife, Rackabello, Rackabello took away his life,

to me dye raddium rudy ida daddium di dye daddium rudy ida dandy.

"
Rackabello", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Editorial Note: Transliteration Spaced for Easier Reading. Original is parsed in two Paragraphs, split at 'Rackabello come to the wild tiger's den'.

Iron Tooth

Erinaic Folk Song [ The Rattlin' Bog ] (( And Again ))

Hey ho, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. The rare bog, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. Now in this bog there was a tree, a rare tree, a rattlin' tree, tree in the bog and the bog down in the valley-o.

Hey ho, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. The rare bog, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. Now on this tree was a limb, a rare limb, a rattlin' limb, limb on the tree, tree in the bog, and the bog down in the valley-o.

Hey ho, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. The rare bog, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. Now on this limb there was a branch, a rare branch, a rattlin' branch, branch on the limb, limb on the tree, tree in the bog, and the bog down in the valley-o.

Hey ho, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. The rare bog, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. Now on this branch there was a twig, a rare twig, a rattlin' twig, twig on the branch, branch on the limb, limb on the tree, tree in the bog, and the bog down in the valley-o.

Hey ho, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. The rare bog, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. Now on this twig there was a nest, a rare next, a rattlin' nest, nest on the twig, twig on the branch, branch on the limb, limb on the tree, tree in the bog, and the bog down in the valley-o.

Hey ho, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. The rare bog, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. Now in this nest there was an egg, a rare egg, a rattlin' egg, egg in the nest, nest on the twig, twig on the branch, branch on the limb, limb on the tree, tree in the bog, and the bog down in the valley-o.

Hey ho, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. The rare bog, the rattlin' bog, the bog down in the valley-o. Now in this egg there was an? bird, a rare bird, a rattlin' bird, bird in the egg, egg in the nest, nest on the twig, twig on the branch, branch on the limb, limb on the tree, tree in the bog, and the bog down in the valley-o.

"The Rattlin' Bog", Translated and Scribed by: Iron Tooth

Editorial Note: 'The Rattlin' Bog' is what's known as a Cumulative Song, Adding onto itself as the singer goes. Inspection of the old transcriptions imply the Scribe may not have been intimately familiar with Erinaic as a language or the significance to the pattern and cadence. As such, Typos (Second verse, first instance of 'Tree' - as well as the indefinite article prefixing the first instance of Bird in the Seventh verse) as well as Pattern-Breaks (Stacking Nest onto Branch instead of onto Twig onto Branch onto Etc.) have been cleaned up for better understanding in Common and proper preservation.