New to the forums?Log in with your Farwoods account.
Quarrel

(IIIII intended to post this a week or so ago, and forgot to! I finally have something to put here so)

[An old, bark-bound journal laid on the desk. Its pages appeared unnaturally delicate, as if they should not have survived the obvious turmoil it had experienced. Water damage was obvious, but none of the text contained within it had bled. A good portion of pages have been ripped out; About half of it remains yet to be written.

Flipping though, it was easy to notice that the author was not much of an artist. The depictions were sloppy, too focused on the appearance of things and not the form underneath. But there was an honesty to them, using light and shadow as if trying to capture an emotion or memory instead of reality. A whole page consumed by charcoal, leaving only empty, white eyes. Dragoneye revealed when turning another, causing your skin to itch at its sudden stare. The flash of a being just barely recognizable as a critter clinging to an unfathomable inky depth, shying from shards of light that seemed to have teeth.

Hastily skipping the rest of that portion uncovered a series of pages that appeared entirely blank... Bringing them closer to a candle, in hopes of finding indentations that would give a clue as to what was written over them, showed a very faint outline of words. Of course in the haste to try to darken the appearing letters further the page burns. It was never for your eyes.]

Quarrel

[The journal was open, warmth from a lamp illuminating a page. Why not take a look?]

Wolves a-howl a haunting song

Calling me to sing along

Not all who wander are lost

But only they know the true cost

Beware my friend, friend not mine

So here I stand at the end

After you told me never again

Trusted your word in Velyra's name

Knowing I carry the blame

You betrayed me it is true

I don't know if you're not you

The weasel, the badger I remember

I know it's only forever

Now I slink through darkness alone

Only Morothi's name to guide my own

Beware my friend, no longer mine

(This song is intended to be loosely sung to A Bhean Úd Thíos, a lullaby that was - unsurprisingly - one mother dearest's favorites to sing to me when the mood struck. 

The structure is different from the original song, but can be sung to the same tune easily enough. This was done because the singer in the Fairy Lullaby is attempting to convince the watching fae that she is caring for their babes, not sending a plea for help. Of course, Quarrel is not doing that. So the warning is repeated after each verse, as if reassuring themself that the creature they face is not their friend.

I doubt anyone will pry further into it, I made it for myself anyway LOL. Just didn't want people wondering why the structure was different. Course like everything I write there's a lot more to be noted if you do look. :P)