New to the forums?Log in with your Farwoods account.
Quarrel

Quarrel glanced around the long, dark halls of the library silently. It only took a few moments for them to recognize their quarry was absent. A part of the cat was pleased by the challenge, though they wondered where he had gone. 

No one would spot them as they drifted past, following the trail the fox had made. His scent was distinctive to them. A cloud of smoke, but also a touch of sweetness. They pondered distantly on how they had mistaken him at first.

The cat's pricked ears heard the crackle of a fire before they saw it. The savory scent of roasted scrounge reminded them that they had forgotten to eat. Again. It just didn't feel important in comparison to everything else. Until it bit them, of course.

Shadows crept closer to the fire as it cast odd shapes on the surrounding trees. Yellow eyes pinned the cook from the darkness. They knew exactly how close they could get before he had even a chance of spotting them. This was made even easier by the fact that his back was turned to them. He was practically asking for it, wasn't he?

They slunk up a nearby tree and slipped along the branches until they were just over the fox. Their sharp claws and lithe strength allowed them to spring over gaps in the lattice of the overgrowth without slowing. Now, to just await the right moment...

There! They dropped a pile of seaweed right onto his head and leap away to the safety of a different tree. A crooked grin spread across their face, and their tail twitched playfully without their input. 

That'll teach him to meddle in their affairs. 

Gaius

Fire was a delicate thing. 

Now, Gaius liked fire well enough. That wasn't the issue. The issue was the new memories attached - shown by the burns that had licked all over his lithe form. The scent of smoke had clung to him early in life as he'd learned to wield it. And as he tended to his flame now, he couldn't help the slight shake to his hand. 

He pulled his paw away from stirring the flames, glancing at the growing bowlful of roasted nuts. Just as Gaius did so, however, something wet and slimy dropped on his head. The fox jumped a bit, then laughed at the realization of what it was. Seaweed!

“Thank ya kindly, Quarrel! Stickin’ 'round for your candy?” Gaius snagged the bowl of water from beside him, grinning as he put the seaweed in one at a time. Ten, a perfect number for sea jelly! The bowl was nestled in the fire's ashes as he stirred it with a clean new stick, grinning. "I was gettin' right bored roastin' nonsense. Kettle moss an' nuts an' such are all well an' good, but candy's where it's at. Always had me a vicious sweet tooth."

Slowly, the seaweed was changing. Round and round it went as water began to boil. The green began to melt away... And Gaius grinned triumphantly down at the bowl.

"Aye, sea jelly! The last thin' needed for some candy. Now for the real fun part. A portion of the hot jelly was transferred into another bowl for him to begin kneading moonberries into the jelly. The fox didn't seem to mind how hot the mixture was and he worked the sticky mess with clean paws. Soon enough he had a few balls of white candy that had cooled considerably to retain a glossy shine. 

The candy was held out to the side he assumed Quarrel was on.

"Take a taste of our combined hard work, friend. I'll get started on the next bit." Bloodberries were mixed into a new portion of sea jelly as the process began again. A hum escaped Gaius as he diligently worked the sugary mix with a smile.

Quarrel

They perched in the darkness and watched the fox's reaction. Gaius taking it in stride and creating something from it pleased them, but they were surprised to see him offer them some of the candy. 

Of course, he had misjudged where they were. With a bit of a chuckle they dropped down lightly from the limb and circled behind him. Staying right on the edge of where he could see them from, they slunk forward to grab a piece. The feline had only consumed candy a few times before, so they were somewhat surprised it was not sticky once cooled. The chatoyance captured their attention as they turned it over. 

Before long they picked all of the finished candies up and began to juggle them. Since it took very little of their attention, they watched the fox work. It seemed he was full of surprises, even humming while he crafted the odd mixure into something entirely different. Quarrel once again wondered about his past. How did a thief end up as a cook? Especially one that seemed to be kind. They had overheard a bit of course, and it was largely against their nature to pry, yet...

A crack of the wood in the fire drew their attention away once again, still rotating the hardened pieces of sugar around their head. If they were being honest, they hadn't thought about what they'd do other than annoy him. It wasn't like they expected to be welcomed.

Gaius

Ah, well! No one ever said he was a mind reader. He'd assumed and assumed wrong. Not once did the fox turn to see the feline either. No, he was content with not viewing his guest as he worked to mold sugary jelly into colorful candy. A tiny glance over gifted a peek at the way the priest seemed to enjoy the pure looks of the pretty little candy orb.

The juggling was fun. Quarrel had quite a few tricks up their sleeves, huh?

Some of the candies made became multicolored as batches of sea jelly were colored with the berries. And instead of pure balls of candy, he also decided to have some fun with shapes. One was a more flattened disc with little triangle ears and two dabs of sunberry-colored yellow that made cute little eyes. As it cooled, Gaius grinned, and held it out.

"Trade ya. Hand o'er one of those borin' ones and I'll give you the kitty." He waggled the candy and took in the look on the cat's face. Gaius snitched one of the first cooled candies, popping it into his mouth to roll around with satisfying clicks against his teeth.

"Aye, hits the spot! Love me some good ol' sugar. Eh? You wanna try? Careful now. This stuff's hot as flames. Stay close to the fire to keep it warm and moldable. If you're too far away it'll set before you've worked it enough. Like this."

Gaius scooped up a bit of the red jelly. Over and over he worked it into ribbons and back, staying close to the fire the whole time. When the color was less clear and more opaque, he formed it into another new shape. The orb was rolled fast as he smoothed it out before flattening the circle out. From there his claws carefully molded out a heart as he finally pulled back from the flames. Not long after losing the heat it began to cool with a shining coating as the red became more vibrant.

"An' there you go! Candy! Try with a ball shape first, it's easiest. But if you wanna get fancy then go ahead and try - just do it quick like!"

Quarrel

Oddly enough they felt comfortable just standing near the fox while he worked. He didn't ask them anything, and he barely even looked at them. Oh they noticed the odd glance, but it was different than staring or expecting them to hold eye contact.

They gladly traded one of the round candies for the cat, but it seemed like a shame to eat it. A spark of curiosity lit their features as they turned it around and looked at it. Quarrel had never seen anything like it before, and wondered what else the fox knew about that they didn't. After they set the candies down they reached for the unfinished sugary dough, pausing to listen to Gaius' instructions. It seemed simple enough, but they knew most difficult things did. With a whispered prayer to Morothi and Velyra they began to pull the colored globs.

Since there was no black they mixed the yellow, green and red together to get as close as they could. Once they got a color they considered close enough, they quickly shaped it. The heat bothered them to the point where they wondered how he could stand it so easily, but after some time it formed an admittedly lopsided foxish shape. They used the bloodberry flavored candy for the rest of the features and held it out to him for approval. 

The feline moved just a bit closer to ensure the fox could hear them speak. "Looks just like you!" 

Gaius

It was obvious that the heat bothered Quarrel more than it did Gaius. The way they worked it told that the other's paws were more sensitive to it. "Aye, hot ain't it! I long calloused myself to heat. Used to use it a lot. We'd coat weapons in resin and light it aflame. Learned to use red magic for explosions an' the like. But you can use those tolerances for other thing's too, it turned out, and I learned to make candy arts."

He glanced over at the held out candy and grinned widely. "Aye, right on, friend! You're right, looks exact!" Those olive green eyes of his shone as he held a hand out. "Can I see it?"

Quarrel seemed amicable to that as they reached out to hand it over. Before the candy could set in his paw, though, the cheeky cat tugged it away. The grin on Gaius' face never faltered. "Cheeky, cheeky! 'ight, y'had some fun with it!" The fox played along easily as he made a few grabs for the item. "Oi - how'd you do that! It's up and gone!"

Of course he had an idea of how. Sleight of hand wasn't beyond him. But finally the candy was handed over and he held it up alongside his face, pretending to be quite thoughtful. "I gotta say, it might be handsomer than I! Whatcha think, Moonlight? Who's handsomer? It's gotta be the mini me, right? I don't think I can quite compare to that little face. Or maybe it's cuter and I'm handsomer? C'mon, be the judge! You can be biased, I promise!"

Quarrel

The feline knew the actual quality of what they had made, but still purred with amusement when they held it out. Though their hands had callouses from years of working with swords and climbing the heat was very different. They also took lengths to not have their hands be too insensitive, since it would make it more difficult to competently pickpocket and perform other tricks.

They didn't mind letting Gaius see the candy, but they had to continue messing with the fox, and began a series of small tricks to keep it away from him. The candy was about the same size and shape as a beaten up and forgotten coin, so it was easy to move it around. It was clear that the fox was only playing along, but it was still fun! 

After they felt that he had earned it Quarrel finally relinquished their hold on the candy with a smirk. The nickname caught them off guard and caused them to abruptly look away. "Oh, I think the little one is by far better company."

A round candy was quickly popped into their mouth to save themself from further discussion. They had intended to get back at the fox for being right. He must still have some kind of magic to manage this. As usual, they crossed their arms, though the fact that they were sucking on candy made it even clearer they were mostly pouting.

Gaius

A laugh escaped him as the candy was finally handed over after the tricks. Quarrel wasn't as much of a stick in the mud as he'd thought they might be. After the whole incident outside of the library... This was much better.

The nickname, however... Now wasn't that cute! 

It was all too cute to see how they busied their mouth with another candy just to keep from having to talk. Funny that. They thought it would stop conversation? He had every intent to hear another of those purrs. Gaius brought the candy down to look at it, playfully scowling. "Ach, I was right, see? They like you more than me, little candy. I should gobble you up for it!"

It was his turn to show off a little trickery. Gaius made to eat the candy fox, but a swift switch traded another for the cute candy before it dropped into his grinning maw.

Then, he showed off the intact candy, despite doubts of fooling the other. "Ain't nigh as good as you but hey! I can try. So what's got you poutin', Moonlight? Cat got your tongue now?" He stirred the fire again with a grin. This was far more fun than sitting here alone. With candy to boot! His tail thumped the ground happily.

Quarrel

The feline checked the scents in the air. Only the smell of sugar and smoke were really noticeable. No one else was around. They realized they hadn't been as alert as they should have been, and internally reviled themself for lowering their guard. It could have been an ambush, or the fox could have turned and attacked them. 

The fox's attempt at trickery drew their attention, however, and even a bit of a chuckle. It was an old trick, but extremely useful if you suspected foul play. They imagined he would have managed to fool quite a few of the more oblivious critters.

And then the seemingly innocent inquiry. Of course he was just lowering their guard further. Fine, then! Quarrel knew they already lost the moment his methods worked with Arachnis. Might as well just get it over with... They growled a little at the fox and moved the candy in their mouth so they could speak. 

"... You were right about xem. I entirely misunderstood what xey were saying."

Their claws dug into the flesh of their forearms by force of habit, though they were able to keep themself from bleeding this time. The last thing they needed was the stupid fox being concerned about them too. They didn't want to regret what they did on top of how they scared Arachnis.

Gaius

The chuckle was progress! The fox seemed to preen a bit at the noise from Quarrel. It wasn't a good trick by any means, he was rusty and his hands struggled with subtle moments these days. It was enough for a chuckle, though, and that was the important part!

The growl made him raise a brow, but the subtle movement of candy told him he was getting an answer. The response wasn't a surprise either. He'd suspected such. The little mage didn't seem like the kind of critter to say such things. So Gaius merely smiled at the fire and nodded in understanding. That was until he noticed the way they dug until their own arms. Time to put a quick stop to that.

"Hey, it happens! No shame in a misunderstandin' - so long as it doesn't stay that way. Here, let's use up the last of this here candy, take some." Gaius held out the bowl of jelly, smiling. At the refusal he grinned and shrugged. "Nah, I get it, can't take the heat of it huh? Not for everyone. I know it's hard to do. Should've expected it to be too hard for you."

Hook, line, and sinker! 

He took the last of the candy himself, grinning down at it as he formed the sugary treat and talked. "That's the silly thing about our minds, they like to play tricks on us. Just gotta outsmart it at it's own game! And if you talk to the other critter nice and civil like, you can rig it, and then you can rig your own mind. Talkin' it out can trick our minds into realizin' it's all thoughts and not reality."

Olive eyes glanced over to see that Quarrel was working at their candy. "An' I think you're just a bit miffed that my advice worked, if I'm readin' you right. You're poutin', Moonlight. But! I suggest you keep takin' that advice for the future. It's nice to find a resolution that works for you both, wouldn'tcha say?"

Quarrel

They flicked an ear idly at the fox's words. Sure, it was common enough. It didn't mean that it bothered them any less, but they supposed stressing about it wasn't helping. Paying more attention in the future and adjusting their behavior would

The offering of making more candy bothered them. It's one thing to try, fail, and turn it into a joke. But there's no reason to attempt again when they already failed. "I think the one was enough."

Their eyes narrowed at the challenge and grabbed a bit of the sunberry and bloodberry mixture, creating an orange candy. The cat moved closer to Gaius so they could more easily control the temperature of the candy. Quarrel more or less ignored what he was actually saying and just nodded along while they worked, determined to best him. 

Slowly the lump began to take on a serpentine form. Thin extensions were shaped into the bones of the wings, and they took a portion they had set aside to stretch across as a clear membrane. Details of a watchful face exposed themself to the world, and scales were carved into the candy dragon. They even stole a bit of the white Gaius was using to make their depiction of Velyra more accurate to how she was traditionally depicted. 

After one last check to make sure it was the best they could accomplish they held it up to the fox to be judged. Only a slight flick of the tail exposed their true anxieties surrounding it.

Gaius

Ah, an ear flick. He was starting to learn that appeared to be a subtle sign of disagreement or discontent. It was worth it to learn such a critter. Thumping was one thing, but Quarrel spoke a whole different language without a word.

An unexpected blessing was that Quarrel moved closer after accepting the challenge. Hands were easily busied without ever needing to point out the digging of sharp claws into soft fur. And while he knew there wasn’t a word getting through, at least the cat seemed to be enjoying himself enough to overlook it. Simple candies were the aim for his craft when he did finish pulling the sugar. He didn’t mind being bested, however, as the priest began to make something more intricate.

Slowly but surely he recognized what he thought the figure was. A tiny dragon. Velyra, if the color was to be believed. How cute.

“Oi, that was mine, y’thief!” He joked easily at the stolen white candy he’d been working with last. No actual anger was held in Gaius’ playful tone.

And when the cooking candy figure was finally shown off, his eyes glittered with amazement as his grin went wide. “Aye, look at you!  Velyra herself, sweet as can be! I’ve made a candy artist of you it seems. Here’s a good thought. Let that cool and then offer it to Velyra. Since we worked together on it there’s no way it won’t make for her new favorite offerin’. An’ it’ll thank her for bring in’ us together too. I think she chose well yet again makin’ us friends. Don’tcha think?”

Gaius turned to Quarrel with a beaming grin full of sunshine. There could be something said about the joy he seemed to bring with him… contagious, really. He leaned back on one arm, stirring the fire with his other hand that held his stick. 

Quarrel

But it seemed that they did well! Quarrel struggled to not show how pleased they were at the praise. A swift glance away to the fire covered their expression. The cat quickly set the figure down so they wouldn't ruin it while it cooled. Offering it to Velyra did seem like a good idea. Since she was the goddess of cooking it would make a good offering...

However, the mention of being friends gave them pause. Didn't he remember that they hurt him? Sure, they'd gotten him to a mage quickly enough it wouldn't mark him or inhibit him later, but didn't he hold a grudge? They'd certainly been upset at critters for far less. 

Just when they were about to voice this he turned to them. Though the first thing they noticed was his smile their gaze instantaneously dropped to the freshly healed cut across his chest. It had scarred. Despite having Arachnis fix it almost as soon as it was inflicted it had left a mark. They considered briefly if it was because xey weren't a skilled enough white mage, but no, it wasn't xeir fault. It was theirs. 

This must've been what xey had meant. 

Gaius

The hint of how happy Quarrel was to be praised was plenty for Gaius to know he should keep doing it. The little candy was as perfect as it could get. And considering that his tactic had worked wonders, he found no reason to keep it up. 

The pause made Gaius glance over with a raised brow. Well, if there was a question, he wouldn't press to hear it. But when the cat turned to him proper, he returned the gesture, and watched as their expression changed minutely before being schooled back into neutrality. What had - the scar. Okay. He could play this off. 

"Eh? Oh - see my badass new scar? Ain't it cool? Lot better than all these burns!" He patted the spot, the scarring as neat as could be. "Little Nis did well healin' it. I like scars. I feel like they're a gift from Morothi." 

That didn't seem to be helping much. 

"Hey." Gaius said softly, stirring the fire to let embers fly up and crackle distractingly. "It's alright. Not every choice we make are good ones. What matters is learnin' from them, y'hear? This is what I meant. Two wrong don't make a right. You were tryin' t'do right by Valens, but hurtin' another to do so didn't get you anywhere, eh?"

He looked into the flames then, letting them dance in his olive eyes. "So I just ask that y'learn from it. Y'already apologized so no point in frettin' about it. 'sides! I'm proud of it! It's a mark of standin' for what I believe in even in the face of adversity."

Quarrel

Quarrel was glad they were wearing their helm, but couldn't understand how the fox still read them. It frustrated the cat. 

But not as much as the fox's words. Maybe they were a gift from Morothi, but it was hardly a kind one. Each mark reminded them, constantly, that they were alone. All of them had been caused by some kind of betrayal, intentional or otherwise, that the feline had to carry with them.  The cat hadn't noticed how close they had gotten to him until that moment. They instinctively crossed their arms and tucked their tail closer to themself, shifting away from the fox in the process. 

Some part of them wanted to run away, but he hadn't gotten aggressive yet... They knew that they should stay. It was the correct choice. The one a good critter would make. 

The claws of their feet dug into the surf, and they watched the fire crackle. Despite their attention seemingly being on the blaze, their ears remained pricked in Gaius' direction. 

Considering how they felt, they supposed the fox was correct. Beating someone obviously didn't make them change their actual opinions. Wasn't that what the monks had tried, and failed to do? It wasn't as if they considered themself a good priest, but they didn't have to go hunting for critters to ask them questions about the pantheon. Didn't have to swing a sword to have critters thank the gods.

Honestly, they just wanted something to hit back. It was never about Valens, it was about control. They still didn't get why he didn't.

They snorted at his comment about standing for what he believed in. Of course that's what he was concerned about. He was the type to be proud of himself. To make the right choices. Maybe it was worth listening to him again, and playing along. With a shrug and a grin they smoothed over their reactions before responding. "Maybe I should give you a few more sometime."

The shadow covertly took a small pouch from their cloak, keeping it entirely out of view from the critter. "Would you like to see another trick?"